Eric W. Morgenstern
197 Woodthrush Way Linden VA 22642 ∙ 224-623-2087 ∙ 847-625-9279 firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Technology Engineer and Manager with a diverse technical knowledge combined with exceptional leadership ability and creative problem solving skills in both strategic and tactical areas for a variety of international corporate environments. Effectively communicated complex concepts and ideas to non-technical individuals, and demonstrated alignment to business objectives. Recognized for successful delivery of new initiatives projects, and for managing technology driven life cycle deliverables. Expertise includes:
Technology life cycle management
E-mail systems design and implementation
Directory services design and implementation
Managed multi-organizational resources
Data Center Operations
Managing customer expectations
Managing against ITIL standards
Analyzing network requirements
Data security and compliance
Mobile Application Administration
Application repackaging “Mass Deployment”
Johnson Controls Inc., Milwaukee, WI
JCI a global diversified technology and industrial leader-serving customers in over 150 countries, with 142,000 employees creating quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles.
Information Technology Client Applications Manager (client computing engineering)
Responsible for managing the Client Applications function within the CC Engineering organization which is responsible for gathering requirements, designing, and implementing application packaging and remediation solutions for customers globally. This includes formally designing and project managing large migrations and new technology efforts, and providing day-to-day oversight/management of software packaging, application remediation, and 3rd level support. The scope of CC Engineering’s functions includes desktops, laptops, and peripheral devices. In addition, this position is responsible for managing the people, processes, and tools required to support the Client Applications function and a defined set of Enterprise Applications.
• Drive gathering and analysis of user, system and support requirements to provide design and engineering recommendations to the client computing architecture, service delivery, and central operations organizations.
• Participate in researching options providing functional and technical written evaluations of products and operating system upgrades and patches
• Lead the development, organization and maintenance of standard operational procedures
• Lead the development and communication of systems and application standards
• Lead the development and maintenance of systems documentation for testing, training and validation
• Drive development and implementation of package software and design distribution methods
• Maintain relevant and current knowledge and be a leader, within assigned technical fields
• Prioritize work efforts, multi-task in a very fast-paced environment, and provide timely and clear updates
• Lead large projects across IT Infrastructure and in support of business unit IT
• Submit weekly status reports and timely project status/scorecards
• Provide technical consultations and presentations to IT as needed
• Lead the development of configuration management processes, while following all change management guidelines.
• Provide disaster recovery planning for client technologies
• Manage post-implementation 3rd level support, driving the identification of root cause with strategic solutions to problems
• Perform annual continuous improvement discussions with employees
• Create annual development programs for employees
• Provide input to CC Engineering annual salary planning
TEKsystems, Schaumberg, IL
Rated #1 for 10 consecutive years on ITSBR’s (IT Services Business Report) Top 20 IT Staffing List
Consultant Systems Engineering and Security
Provided Auditing and Compliance consulting services to HSBC and Baxter Medical.
o Manages quality nonconformance process from initiation through closure ensuring Baxter team members and external vendors complete remediation actions within required timeframes.
o Support identity access management for Unix and iSeries systems.
o Provide knowledge sharing and technical assistance to other team members.
o Security Auditor fulfilling the following requirement – HSBC is engaged in a business, which is highly regulated by federal financial regulators. Intense scrutiny is placed on securing internal information and compliance with federal laws. HSBC is required to ensure compliance to regulatory requirements not only internal in their business environment, but also with external third party vendors, who provides various services to HSBC. Internal and third parties must be reviewed for compliance and to ensure they are securing necessary HSBC and client information.
Compusults Corporation Gurnee, IL
Compusults provides business and individual technology consulting services.
Senior Network Engineer
Provided business, technology consulting, engineering, and training. Utilizing best practice tools learned from global enterprise business environments.
• Built a business plan and implemented a marketing strategy
• Secured consulting services to assist line of business initiatives
o Divestiture, E-mail, and Web consultant for Canyon of the Eagles Resorts
o Financial systems migration for Double Lucky Ranch
• Designed and implemented remote system management program
• Utilizing ITIL and 6 Sigma principles, standardized business processes
• Engineered a server farm, utilizing hardware and virtual based systems, to provide web and remote help-desk services.
Quixote Corporation Chicago, IL
Quixote is the world’s leading manufacturer of energy-absorbing highway crash cushions, electronic wireless measuring & sensing devices, weather forecasting stations, computerized highway advisory radio, flexible post delineators & other transportation safety products. Trinity Industries acquired the company in 2009.
Network Operations Manager, Senior Engineer
Tasked with building a world class Information Systems organization from the ground up, to meet global business requirements, and manage the organization once created. Managed all Information Systems Operations globally, which included: Personnel, Network, Data Center, R&D, manufacturing, financial, telecommunications, high availability, and hosted services, to established SLAs and industries best practices within the global IS budget.
• Oversaw the redesigned and implementation of changes to the Windows Active Directory forest domain, consisting of 1 top level and 7 child domains, with my team. Identified administrative roles, ensured redundancy and security constraints existed, and were verifiable, logged, and reviewed. Administrative accounts replaced client accounts, and Groups were created vice individual access grants. Collaborated with Legal, HR, and the steering committee to rewrite the Domain Password policies and Electronic communications policy and facilitate communications.
• Collaborated with a dispersed group of individual information systems contributors from the parent child companies, to assess the current infrastructure and business requirements. Promoted and gained executive sponsorship to combine these resources at the parent company level, resulting in a cohesive organization. This organizational change allowed Quixote to realize synergies that already existed and weren’t utilized.
• Directly managed a staff of 12-15 Senior Network Administrators, manufacturing systems, web, and network Engineers, and varying external resources.
• Leveraged knowledge of ITIL to implement a Change Management Database, introduced the engineers to ITIL methodologies, conducted change meetings with business and IT/IS resources, and set requirements for changes to occur. In addition, participated in the Hosting Company’s weekly team meetings, and required all changes to be vetted through my staff.
• Initiated and implemented a new infrastructure strategy based on synergies, and entered into an EA agreement with Microsoft to standardize the server and workstation environment, resulting in greater standardization and utilization of imaging techniques.
• Evaluated Server location and application services against client, network and resource allocations, developed a high availability architecture, presented improvements to steering committee, received executive sponsorship, and deployed solution, resulting in the centralization and redundancy of data storage, and the use of Cloud computing. The result of which was an implementation of a mixed model, using a mixture of highly available Virtualization (VMWare ESXi), conversion to web based applications were possible, and point of presents access. The increased efficiencies utilizing this design decreased server resources by 80%, offset EA agreement cost, and increased security by reducing administration.
• Managed and maintained the legacy Avaya system, and vendor/NOC, relationship.
• Oversaw the selection of an outsource vendor to evaluate and deploy VOIP, incorporating wired and wireless Voice and Data. Managed internal and external resources, during the deployment and monitored both internal and external SLA’s, security, and optimization. SLA’s were established in Gold, Silver, or Bronze, and negotiated with the business and sourced partner for the final level which included 4 hour on site server hardware replacement, 1 hour system configuration, and next business day service deployment. Customer satisfaction is 100% positive with the new features. I hands on configured all the deployed Cisco switches, in order to help teach several of my direct reports the basic configurations and troubleshooting. Realized a 10% savings, for the project and my team gained valuable training.
• Managed SPRINT (MPLS provider) was able to affect a 40% contractual cost savings, plus increase MPLS effectiveness and implement Software based metrics and intrusion detection. I sourced all gateway router configurations, freeing up employ resources, and adding an additional layer of security control.
• Initiated, implemented, and managed the software/hardware life-cycle review process. Resulting in over $2,000,000 savings per year, the reallocation of 3 FTE’s, and a jump in client satisfaction surveys from 82% to 98% in the first year.
• Oversaw a budget in excess of $5,000,000 annually determined by the BOD based on business operational objectives, and vendor cost adjustments. This cost included but was not limited to Hardware and Software lifecycle management, network, manufacturing systems, Hosting services, Licensing, Telecommunications, physical security measures, employee resources.
KRAFT FOODS, Northfield IL
Senior Systems Engineer, Technical Specialist, Senior Manager
Reporting to the Director of the Security and Strategy group, an elite technology and management team responsible for architecting, designing, and deploying secure business enabling services, I partnered with the business, developed solutions, presented business plans, architected, and executed global strategies to include e-mail, directory services, remote access, antivirus, security, and off shore development virtualization strategies for $47 billion global consumer packaged Food Company. In this capacity, managed between 3-20 staff, off shore, and near shore contract resources to deliver projects on time and meet all SLAs. Worked closely with business clients, IT, vendors, and business partners to:
• Developed and presented plans for projects and initiatives, to the steering committee, senior management, technology teams, near and off shore vendors, business leaders, and individual contributors, utilizing video conferencing, telecommunications, intranet and extranet services, brown bags, seminar, and social networking, to ensure communications at all level and solicit feedback and dialog, which resulted in sponsorship buy in, assets role understanding, cost savings and quality on time delivery of services.
• Technical Lead (Program Manager) for the separation of Kraft ($47billion) from Altria ($157Billion), I managed regional leads in 155 countries, from issue discovery to resolution. Resulting in over 40,000 applications, 65,000+ clients, and 8000+ servers completing migration 2 months ahead of the regulator compliance date.
• Working with IT and business executives from Altria, Phillip Morris International, and Kraft, developed in partnership Kraft’s Windows Domain design, and managed a team of 5 Microsoft and EDS resources to develop the architecture, and deliver a new Windows Domain design and Active Directory service. This resulted in the successful delivery, migration, and consolidation of 67+ existing authentication domains to 1 Forest structure, enabling high availability through the use of virtual technologies, hardware and software cost reductions, reduced authentication delays, and enabled SSO, and role based access control globally.
• Designed and delivered Global offshore sourced development environment for 150+ developers for a $1.4 billion dollar SAP implementation, utilizing state of the art fixed and virtual high availability resources.
• Developed and delivered a high availability Global E-mail solution for 65,000+ employee clients and 70,000+ other resource mailboxes, reducing the number of decentralized servers from 220 to 5 centralized data center clusters. Resulting in increased security and controls, decreased administrative resources required, and a standardized platform.
• Worked on Executive managed team that developed and defined SLA’s “Service Level Management” for systems organization, consisting of internal and external resources, based on defined objectives negotiated with the business, resulting in the development of service catalogs and performance monitoring enhancements. SLAs consisted of multiple service levels, based on service provided and mission criticality. An example of a defined SLA is 15 minute response, with 30 minute updates, and 1 hour escalation for E-mail related issues, based on Kraft being a marketing company and needing to respond to customer requests..
• Developed and managed SOX standards for technologies I developed and worked with internal and external independent auditors maintaining 100% compliance to all audit points. Ensured business and executive goals were exceeded.
• As the Global Security lead I managed all security related issues from all Tower leads, insured conformity to corporate security standards, and governed all group policy changes. Resulting in successful SOX and Compliance audits.
• Worked with the management team to define and implement the ITIL standards framework. The results of which were, better managed service delivery, a 22% reduced down time, standardized change windows from unregulated to 6 hours, establishment of business client alignment, and decreased cost.
• Transitioned legacy-monitoring tool set to EDS system monitoring tools per contractual obligations. Resulting in 0% impact, to the standardization of platform resources, network monitoring, or service delivery.
• Managed 3rd party vendor in the creation of a web based performance reporting dashboard, establishing of a granular service, security, risk, and performance one stop shop, resulting significantly faster oversight, reporting, and cost benefit analysis.
• Lead systems engineer for Windows Server environment consisting of ~8000 servers, responsible for server builds, updates, configuration, security, and antivirus. Providing (1) organizational level maintenance, (2) intermediate level maintenance, and (3) depot level maintenance.
• Managed a team of Windows System Administrators that architected and delivered global Antivirus solution for ~65000 workstations and 8000+ servers, consolidating 3 vendor solutions to 1. Resulting in a 66% decrease in deployment time, 70% increase in incident response time, and decreased cost by >52%.
• Principle Exchange Server engineer, managed the North American e-mail infrastructure, with 3 direct consultant reports. Responsible for server administration, backups, antivirus, and disaster recovery. Conducted semiannual disaster recovery exercises at the SunGard off site facility.
• Administered WINS, DNS, and DHCP, services for internal network, for North America, Mexico, and Puerto Rico.
FORTJAMES CORPORATION, Deerfield IL
Senior Systems Engineer, Manager IT Organization
Reported to the Director of Data Center Operations, and dotted lined to the CIO. Oversaw daily operations of North American data center for $8 billion global paper manufacturer, and directed the security group. In this capacity I managed 2-3 direct reports and had dotted line management of 20-40 staff. Worked closely with executive team, mill managers, system operations staff, and security to:
• Managed IT deliverables to business objectives ensuring alignment to global business and systems requirements, resulting in maximized delivery of global portfolio.
• Coordinated, delivered, monitored and maintained E-business and Data Warehouse resources in support of business initiatives. Resulting in 100% on time delivery of business critical infrastructure.
• Managed incident response for system virus out breaks. Resulting in standard SLA’s being initiated with vendors, formation of incident response teams, and a 5-10% decrease in resolution time.
• Centralized and consolidated E-mail services. Resulting in a 15-20% reduction in server hardware, and a recovery/reassignment of 4-6 FTE’s.
• Analyzed domain requirements and reduced 50-60 NT Domains to 1. Resulting in a 50% reduction in server assets. Migration cost were recouped in <18 months.
• Managed, developed, implemented, and delivered Y2K strategy. Resulting in 0% down time and 0% production impact.
Amphibious Warfare College, Washington D.C.
BS, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
AS, Mohegan Community College, Norwich Ct.
MCSE, MCP, MCSE+ I, ITIL, CISSP
College of Lake County, Guest Speaker for IS
Univ. of Wisconsin Info. Sec. Peer Group, Member
Midwest VM Users Group, Member
HONORS & AWARDS
Marine Corps: Kuwait Liberation, Meritorious Unit, Marine Expeditionary, Good Conduct
Kraftfoods: ABCD excellence
SOFTWARE & SERVER
Windows Server NT-2008, Exchange 5.0-2007, MAC 9-10x, Mainframe, UNIX Ltd., Linux Ltd., and Cisco Systems to include VOIP and wireless.